2013 Watershed/Water Management Solutions - Policy to Action
This 8th Summit sponsored by the Minnesota Division Izaak Walton League examined 2012 initiatives to put more conservation protections on surface waters, groundwater, and wetlands in Minnesota.
Some of the topics covered were: Ground water impacts on White Bear Lake and the Maplewood Mall Retrofit; the need for integrated water management planning; Governor Dayton's Memo of Understanding to create the Ag Water Quality Certification Program and his Executive Order to strengthen the Wetland Conservation Act protections.
NEW STATE INITIATIVES FOR BETTER WATER MANAGEMENT
- Minnesota Ag Water Quality Certification Program - Commissioner Dave Frederickson & Brad Redlin, MN Dept. of Ag
- Wetland Conservation Act updates - Dave Weirens, BWSR
- Groundwater/Lakes Interactions - Potential Effects on Lake Levels: What controls water levels in lakes? Example: White Bear Lake - Perry Jones, USGS
- Streaming to Cleaner Water, A look at the past, present and future - Doug Wetzstein, MN PCA Watershed Division
COORDINATING SOLUTIONS AT THE WATERSHED/AQUIFER LEVEL
- Integrated Watershed Planning: A Systems Approach to Water Resource Improvement James Wisker, Minnehaha Creek Watershed District
- Maplewood Mall Retrofit - Matt Kumka/Eric Holt, Barr Engineering
- Are we asking the right questions? Are we restoring natural processes for long-term conservation and production? Is someone in charge?Don Arnosti, Audubon Society